Monday, February 4, 2008

Curve Ball





I call these four paintings my Curve Ball series in that I show very little abstract paintings on this blog, and indeed, do very little abstract painting. Oh, forgot...I did post an abstract early after opening my blog last year. Not a good painting! I like these four, however, as does my rep. who is going to show them to one of her clients. If her client likes these acrylic studies (each one is on 8"x10" stretched canvas) I'll be using them as models for 30"x30" canvases. Abstract painting is just as challenging as representational painting. In fact, both are very similar. You still must deal with such things as composition, color, value, brush work, layering,motion, texture,emphasis, pattern, etc., etc. So really, is there much of a stretch for a representational artist to do a few abstracts now and then?

3 comments:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

It took me soooo long to 'get' that if you don't have a good abstract pattern then you don't have a painting.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

It took me a long time to learn that if you don't have a good abstract pattern, you don't have a painting.

David Lobenberg said...

Thanks Mary. You're right...no plan or pattern, and you can get into a whole lot of trouble! You sent me another comment on these abstracts, but I think I deleted it by mistake! Can you re-comment?