Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Two Acrylics On Canvas Using "Golden Open"

These paintings (two bottom photos) are on 11"X14" stretched canvases. They were painted with extra long drying Golden Open acrylic paint. With me, the longer drying time is neither here nor there, because I paint fast, and I don't want that fine blended look like Jeremy Lipking masterfully does. I do have to wait for my large undercoats to dry somewhat. This is good, because it slows me down. I can "live" with the painting longer and evaluate it with fresh eyes. "Stacy" was painted with a 5 traditional color set of titanium white,alizarin crimson hue, ultramarine blue, vandyke brown, and sap green hue. "Erik", who lives in an apartment over my studio, was painted with the same colors with an addition of cad. red light, and cad. yellow light for a little extra pizazz. I haven't yet got the feel in my bones for acrylic portraiture, but by looking and being inspired by a few artists such as Sandra Flood and Karin Jurick, I will prevail! I'm getting ready to teach another watercolor portrait workshop in Sept., so I painted "Erik" again (top two photos) on 140lb., non- stretched, cold press watercolor paper...sooo much faster in watercolor. No wonder watercolor was used in the past as a study medium in preparation for final oils.

8 comments:

Nava said...

You do portraits???

All I saw on your blog so far was mostly landscapes (OK, and the Dark Visions). Both portaits are glorious! Love the freshness of Watercolor Erik. And check out those laughing wrinkles on this dude.

David Lobenberg said...

Nava: Thanks! Yea, his face lines are great and fun to render.

Anonymous said...

Both are nice, but I really love the brushwork on Stacey.

Anonymous said...

Both good paintings. I like the lost edge at the top of the man's head and you handled the sometimes tough to do open mouth very well.

The female painting is especially nice.

David Lobenberg said...

Anonymous: Thanks. Yes, I think I like "Stacey" better too...but..."Erik" sure has a great smile and bald head.

David Lobenberg said...

Onpainting: Thanks! I like the to lost edge on Erik's dome as well. I went back and forth on that...edge or no edge?

Theresa Rankin said...

The portrait of the women is stunning!!! Absolutely perfect!!! You rock!

David Lobenberg said...

The women is my fav. as well. I'm still playing with acrylic painting techniques.