Monday, August 31, 2009

98% done and 50% done

Both of these "plein air" paintings are in different stages of doneness or completion. I paint on site in acrylic using a Sta- Wet palette and Golden Open slow drying acrylic paint that will not crust over, especially during our warm and dry Sacramento Valley summers. The painting of the Elkhorn Basin Ranch (16"X20" on stretched canvas) is 98% completed. The only elements left to refine are the fence/gate in the right side foreground and the foreground dry grass. The water way you see was built by the rancher for migratory birds. This ranch was growing alfalfa and corn feed when I was there. The other acrylic (20"X20" on stretched canvas) is only 50% completed, but it represents a lot of hard work with the complex composition and perspective. It is a children's roller coaster ride with the coaster in the form of a Chinese dragon. This represents about 2 hours of solid painting. After that period the sunlight has radically changed, and I'm ready for a rest! I was very happy with the initial blocking in and resulting composition. I took a few photos before and during the blocking in painting and will use those as reference to complete the scene in my studio. That is why I put quotes around "plein air", because with challenging perspectives and relatively large canvas sizes, I never am able to finish them on site. I will post the finished Dragon roller coaster acrylic within a few weeks.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

That dragon coaster is from Funderland? No grown-ups allowed without accompanied by a kid! I keep asking my son to take me so I can do a shoot but he's too old and too cool to oblige me. My little one will be ready in a year or two though!

Both paintings lookin' good!

RH Carpenter said...

Love the landscape and am in awe of your tackling of the roller coaster - what an unusual and very cool thing to paint!! Looking forward to seeing it when it's 95% done :)

lupus said...

David, they look fantastic..¡Congratulations!

Big hug.

Enrique.

Barbara Muir said...

Hi David,

I like this percentage approach. I don't know how you know that, but I'm delighted that you do. Both paintings at both stages are wonderful.

Thanks for sharing.

Take care,

Barbara

David Lobenberg said...

They have a coaster at Funderland, but this was at the State Fair, Terry. I was a participant in their plein air artist program that they have every year (first time for me). I knocked off at around noon as it got to 105 degrees that day. Purchased a BBQ drum stick, a deep fried vege plate (yum) and a small beer for a "low" total of $22. Glad I got in for free and had free parking.

David Lobenberg said...

Thanks, Rhonda. Sometimes I tackle too much, but this one is working out nicely.

David Lobenberg said...

Enrique, Gracias! and an Americano hug back!

David Lobenberg said...

Barbara, I think the percentage calculation ability is in the Lobenberg gene pool...yes...really!...or...it's a good way to detract people from the fact that I'm woefully not up to the task of finishing a plein air painting on site!

Anonymous said...

Nifty, David! Great perspective. We're you hovering in the air when you painted these? - Dana

David Lobenberg said...

Anonymous (Dana), See the road starting to come up in the foreground? I was at the end of that road on a slough levee.

Barbara Muir said...

Hi David,

I like it when you're self-effacing, but come on woefully not up to the task. You're only one of the best painters on the internet.

Take care,

Barbara

David Lobenberg said...

Humbleness keeps us from never being quite satisfied with our artistic status, and that's a good thing, Barbara. Thanks for the kind words!

Sjamesportraiture said...

Your colours in the landscape are singing, the blue is really working. When I saw the rollercoster at this stage wasn't sure, but looked at your later posts, really like the changes to the ends of it, much more movement

David Lobenberg said...

Thanks Sarah. I'm in the throes of getting a lot of paintings completed for a two man show in Feb. of next year, so this one may sit for awhile before I can get back to it.