Thursday, December 3, 2009

One of my students in Art 300

This is a quick, unfinished charcoal (soft vine) of Diana that I did for my students to show them how to sketch a very light contour drawing and then go in (lightly again) with a few value SHAPES. I squint big time as I do this to eliminate a lot of similar mid values. It is like turning up the contrat "dial" in photo shop...high contrast leaves you mostly with dark and light shapes. Sure makes life a little easier and allows you to render a likeness quickly. You can always go in later and add more subtle value shapes if you so desire. The sketch ends up being a combination of light and dark shapes, soft, hard, and lost edges. The contour lines are no longer there, because as we all know, there are no lines in life...only demarcations between contrasting value shapes. Those initial contour lines were only there in the beginning to define the shapes. By the way, I did not start with any of the facial features. I first loosely rendered (lightly with contour lines) the head, cap, neck, and some of the shoulder area. Only after I was satisfied with that did I contour in the eyes, nose and mouth. After that process, I played off dark against light values. If I ever get the time to finish this sketch, I'll post it. Go onto Youtube and search for "The Face of Lincoln". Its an old black and white elementary/high school (circa 1960's) movie that I saw when I was about 12 years of age. It made a deep impression on me and shows a similar concept utilized in drawing and painting. It delightful and mesmerizing...nuf said!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

hallo,
wunderschön, wonderful,

LG Werner

David Lobenberg said...

Vielendank, Werner.

Unknown said...

Beautifully rendered, and a great explanation!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Beautiful example of "less is more". Thanks for the previous post compliments.

lupus said...

Fantastic drawing, David, I like it very much. Very simple but at the same time with a lot of character.

Greattings.

Enrique.

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

Very well done.

Arti said...

Very impressive, David..hard to believe thats a 'quick sketch'!Great values and tones.

David Lobenberg said...

Thank you, Kathy. I hope it is an understandable explanation.

David Lobenberg said...

Thanks Myrna Wacknov, and I believe I spelled your name correctly here!

David Lobenberg said...

Muchas Gracias, Enrique!

David Lobenberg said...

Thank you, Bill!

David Lobenberg said...

Thank you, Arti. Yes. it took me about 30 minutes, if that qualifies as a "Quick" sketch.

Barbara Muir said...

Hi David,

This is just gorgeous!

Take care,

Barbara