Saturday, January 2, 2010

My Conversion

Well maybe not a conversion. Lets call it an addition. About six years ago, I was commissioned to paint several large pieces for a newly constructed activities building at a Sun City retirement community in Lincoln, Calif. The first piece was of a 1900 era Lincoln saloon just outside of the towns opera theater. I painted the scene in water color (my main medium at the time) on a sheet of 5 foot by 7 foot water color paper! It came out just fine, but what if I add blown the painting? I needed to do the remaining pieces with an opaque medium so I could make changes. So the next painting was done in acrylic. I learned the medium on the job! It was a bird rookery scene about 5 feet by 7 feet. I painted this in acrylic on water color paper, and it was wall papered above a hallway entrance. The third commission was to show senior activities and was to be above a theater stage. Needless to say, it too was painted in acrylic. Now, most of my gallery work is in acrylic. By the way, that's my water color set up on the stage. I was invited last fall to give a water color demo and talk to the Sun City Art Club. A water color demo of all things!

16 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

That watercolor is absolutely gorgeous, David! A prime example of why watercolor is my favorite medium. The other paintings are wonderful too, but my heart goes to the watercolor. The painting above the hallway entrance...I thought it was a window until I really stopped to look! What a talent you have!

Carol Feldman said...

You make me want to paint again.

Myrna Wacknov said...

I really am in awe of your talent to work on such large pieces. I have friends who live in this community in Lincoln. I will brag to them that I know you!

David Lobenberg said...

AutumnLeaves, I love water color too...but...life is too rich and engaging for me not to like acrylic, charcoal, pen and ink etc. etc. Life is too damn short!!

David Lobenberg said...

Carol, Thanks for dropping by. Guess what? Chuck Reid is one of my all time favorite water color artists, and his oils ain't too bad either. Hope you get back to painting again!

David Lobenberg said...

Happy New Year, Myrna!!!!

Kay said...

My compliments! I am working in an old building at present, in tempera, but following geometrical lines. Oh how I miss my watercolours on paper... Your large work simply adds to my impatience to return to where I think I belong! Thanks for sharing it.

I agree though, life is for adventures and that includes other projects, other media. But at the end of the day... watercolours (such as yours) are what make my heart sing!

P.S. I particularly love the paint tube on your homepage... I drop by occasionally to admire it anew!

Annaquarel.les said...

Hi David! When I saw your watercolour in a friend's blog, I thought you had painted 'The Last Supper' until I visited your blog and realized it was 'The Last Drink' (sorry).
I also admire your great talent working in such large pieces no matter the medium.
By the way, I've been painting watercolour so far but this year (one of my New Year's Resolutions)I'd like to try acrylic as well. I think it will open up a world of new possibilities. I agree with you : You live to experiment and learn. Then you die and forget it all.
I think I'd better hurry...;-)

I wish you all the best for this New Year 2010!!

Barbara Muir said...

Hi David,

Happy New Year. Your work in every medium is beautiful. What amazing paintings.

Take care,

Barbara

David Lobenberg said...

Thanks for periodically dropping by, Kay.

David Lobenberg said...

We all need to hurry, Anna. Good luck investigating acrylics. It's a wonderful medium!

David Lobenberg said...

Happy New Year back to you Barbara!

Anonymous said...

Way to go David. Your multiple talents will be seen and appreciated every day and don't they deserve to be.
It's a great feeling to have your work in a permanent place in a public space.
Congratulations.

Celeste Bergin said...

well you are something else! It's like you have no limitations! lol...I do think you should have made one senior in the panorama of seniors a scary senior...that would be funny. Like couldn't you have made one of them crazed? lol. j/k
wonderful work

David Lobenberg said...

Comrade (Bonnie L.) What was the most fun was painting the Egret rookery. It was about a hundred yards outside of the building that the painting is in.

David Lobenberg said...

Celeste, I couldn't go crazy with any of their commissions, but I will be in a figurative show coming up in March where I will have 3 paintings that I am currently working on that depict some huge men with big, big balls! Not as gross as you might guess. I'll post them in March.