Monday, April 12, 2010

Decapitated Head and Rose In Bud Vase Redux

The decapitated head that lead to my incarceration two posts ago was identified by the county coroner as the head of Mike di Lodovico Buonarotti Simoni ( aka: Michaelangelo). After receiving that bit of info., I decided to paint in his famous "David" as well as a close up of Dave's head. This second "Rose In Bud Vase" acrylic was painted yesterday in my Sunday acrylic painting workshop. The idea was to minimize the number of brush strokes used to paint the image. I'm still trying to perfect this idea. There was a guy I recollect that really, really knew how to do this well. His name was John Sargent. He painted a lot of rich hob nobs in his time, and therefor was not considered a happening artist like Mike.

4 comments:

Sujit Sudhi said...

David you are funny. "There was a guy I recollect that really, really knew how to do this well." I couldn't help laughing out loud.

Beautiful paintings. The likeliness of David's ( the older one that is) head is unbelievable. The rose painting is lovely too. Isn't it amazing how much one can achieve with so little?

David Lobenberg said...

Sujit, I know that you watercolor, and I think it particularly important to learn how to do more with less painting in that medium. If you want to read some funny stuff, go to Onpainting. The blog is on my blog roll. The writer there is a master at humor. Maybe this is the guy you are referring to! His name is Bill.

Autumn Leaves said...

Love both paintings but the vignettes of Michelangelo's work is just gorgeous, David.

David Lobenberg said...

Thanks, Autumn. The larger David head was done by looking at a cheap plaster cast and the other two were painted by looking at photo references on a monitor next to my easel.