Friday, November 12, 2010

A little pin heady, but that's OK

It's Friday, and I'm back at The School Of Light And Color in Fair Oaks, California for another 3 hour figure painting session with some other fabulous painting compadres. Damn hard work...and...damn challenging and fun! I started out with a good rough sketch-in of the model's head then proceeded to sketch her body. Oops!, her head is too small! What the hell...if El Greco could distort his figures, then so can I ! As usual, my painting is still in that rude and crude stage. The model's flesh tones are certainly not there yet. I'm struggling with her sneakers and hair, and so on and so on...but...I think the foundation of a good painting has been laid. Check out the model's designer, ripped and torn stockings not to mention her cardigan and pearls...very vogue indeed! And to think, I only had to chip in $10 for the model fee, Hell, that will only get you one lousy vodka martini! Shaken, not stirred, barkeep.

9 comments:

Myrna Wacknov said...

It looks like fun!!! I need to get back to working with live models. A good challenge keeps the energy flowing. A nice effort on your part. Every one doesn't need a large head!

David Lobenberg said...

Myrna, pin head rendering artists, unite!

RH Carpenter said...

You just needed a bit more measuring before painting :) I had to laugh at the costume - do the models dress themselves? If so, she has to be an art or theatre major, yes? :) I love seeing all the work the artists are doing - I haven't done live figure drawing in over a year and this is making me want to get back at it again.

Susan Roux said...

I can see why someone focused on just her head. Those stockings look like a nightmare to me! Sounds like you had great fun!

Barbara Muir said...

Now come on David,

If an artist paints like a camera what's the point? You are a real artist, not a machine. Nicely done.
Stand proud.

Take care,

Barbara

David Lobenberg said...

Rhonda, Go for it!

David Lobenberg said...

Susan, yes I had fun but oh those stockings!!!

David Lobenberg said...

Barbara, you are right. What's the point of being a camera when we're human. It's the human touch that counts.

David Lobenberg said...

Not finished or easy, Prabha. That is why I always take a photo of the model so that I can complete the painting later in my studio.