Sunday, March 31, 2013

Portrait Details

I am having a big watercolor portrait show coming up this June in Sacramento and am very busy taking photos of my subjects to use as painting references. My subjects range from well known local news anchors, fine artists, ballet and stage directors, and my local hot dog diner owner. I will unveil them this coming June on

this blog. Meantime, here are two sneak peeks. I think it fun and instructive to see close ups of paintings. The top watercolor was painted on 140lb. cold press rough and the bottom on 140lb. cold press.

8 comments:

Vandy said...

Looking forward to seeing more of these portraits. I love getting to see the fine detail. I find that I see different aspects of my paintings when I get really close up. That's when you can see the interesting things that the pigments do on the paper.

Meera Rao said...

The close ups are great! I like both the textures --probably rough more than the cold :)
BTW, what do you use to sketch for your portraits? Do you sketch directly on the painting paper or do you work out your sketch first and the transfer to the paper?
And I also enjoyed your video interview by Rob !

Barbara Muir said...

Hi David,

I am excited about seeing your work revealed. And I love the close ups. They intrigue me too.

Your fan in the T.Dot (snowing here today) Barbara

David Lobenberg said...

Hi Vandy. Thanks for visiting!

David Lobenberg said...

Meera, I sketch directly on the paper. The sketch lines are a key part of the portraits. I'm in love with cold press rough!

David Lobenberg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David Lobenberg said...

Thunderstorms here in sunny C, Barbara.

David Lobenberg said...

Somebody left a wonderful comment on this post but I trashed it by mistake . . . permanently!! Nothing for me to publish here! If you come back to this blog and do not see your comment, can you leave another one? . . . pretty please with a cherry on top!! I'll make sure to publish it this time.